Four standing ruins, along with rubble on the ground, are the remnants of William Carnochan’s sugar mill and rum distillery.
According to a historical marker close by, The Thicket was operating in the early 1800s and was destroyed by a hurricane in 1824.
GPS: N 31°25.759 and W 81°23.042
Address: Old Cane Mill Drive, Darien GA 31305
Accessibility: The ruins are located in a private gated community on Tolomato Island. A historical marker describing the ruins stands at the entrance to the Tolomato Causeway. From the causeway, turn right onto Old Cane Mill Drive at the Sugar Mill subdivision gated entrance. On the day we went, the gates were open to allow visitors to enter. We could see the ruins on the left from our car.