Old Sheldon Church ruins feature majestic brick columns, but tabby is minimal. Tabby can be detected as a mortar and as sparsely remaining stucco. A graveyard is adjacent to the church. The scenic spot is popular for weddings and is under the auspices of the Parish Church of St. Helena.
According to signs at the site, Old Sheldon Church--originally named Prince William's Parish Church--was erected in 1751 and was burned by Loyalists in 1779. It was rebuilt in 1825, but freedmen dismantled it shortly after the Civil War.
GPS: N 32°37.113 and W 80°46.837
Address: Old Sheldon Church Road, Yemassee, SC 29945
Accessibility: Located about 17 miles north of Beaufort, on Old Sheldon Church Road between
Highways 17 and 21. A parking lot is across the road from the ruins.