According to the Kingsland Convention and Visitors Bureau, the sugar mill “is the largest and best preserved of all tabby remains in the Southeast.”
Built in 1826, this innovative sugar factory had dimensions of 120' x 75' and consisted of three rooms: one for boiling, for grinding, and for curing sugar. John Houstoun McIntosh (1773-1836) constructed the mill on the site of his New Canaan Plantation, where he grew sugar cane. New Canaan was sold after McIntosh’s death, and the mill burned in the mid-1800s and was not rebuilt.
GPS: N 30°47.595 and W 81°34.738
Address: Charlie Smith Sr. Hwy (GA Spur 40), St. Marys, GA 31588. On the side of the road, just left of Kings Bay Road and the Stimson Gate of Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay.
Accessibility: It features a parking lot and a picnic area. Open year round from sunrise to sunset.
For more information, see Brown’s Guide to Georgia and Kingsland Convention and Visitors Bureau.