Located in Jekyll Island's Historic District, Hollybourne Cottage is an example of Revival Tabby. Revival Tabby is a late nineteenth-century style of imitation tabby using Portland cement.
The du Bignon family, who owned Jekyll Island and operated a slave plantation, sold the island after the Civil War to the Jekyll Island Club. Formed in 1886, the club included the world's wealthiest elite--J. P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, the Rockefellers, etc. Club members vacationed on Jekyll during the winter, and some built vacation homes. Charles Stewart Maurice built Hollybourne Cottage in 1890. The Great Depression and World War II ended the exclusive Jekyll Island Club, and the State of Georgia purchased the island in 1947. Hollybourne Cottage is the last of Jekyll's historic homes to be restored.
GPS: N 31°03.733 and W 81°25.383
Address: 379 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, in the Historic District..
Accessibility: There is a toll (currently $6) to cross the Musgrove Downing Causeway to enter the island, but it is free to park and to walk through the Historic District. Be sure to head north, not south, on Riverview Drive. Riverview Drive turns into a pedestrian walkway in the Historic District at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. There is a parking lot across from the hotel at the marina. Hollybourne is on the pedestrian walkway. Hollybourne's exterior can be viewed, but the interior is closed because of ongoing renovations.
For more information, see the website of the Jekyll Island Authority, which operates the island for the State of Georgia.