Much remains of Fort Dorchester's tabby-and-brick powder magazine. Constructed in 1757, the massive magazine walls measured 8’ high x 2' thick and spread over 100 square feet. In addition to the magazine, the Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site includes a brick bell tower and a cemetery.
The fortified town of Dorchester was established in 1695, and the magazine was built in 1757. During the Revolutionary War, the famous heroes Francis Marion and Nathanael Greene were at Dorchester. The town was abandoned in 1788.
The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1969.
GPS: N 32°56.829 and W 80°10.212
Address: Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site, 300 State Park Road, Summerville, SC 29485
Accessibility: Located near Charleston, off Interstate 26, the park charges $2 for
admission, is open 9am-5pm daily, and has a parking lot near the fort.
For more information on the state park, see http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/colonialdorchester/introduction.aspx.
For more historical information on Dorchester. see Daniel J. Bell's Old Dorchester State Park: Visitor’s Guide.